Post Conference Optional Day Tour
Saturday 7 April 2018
8.30 am - 7.30 pm
An Itinerary of Four Private Historic Houses
A rare opportunity to visit four privately owned historic houses rarely open to the public. Lunch will be held in the grounds of the magnificent property of Camden Park.
The tour can be booked on its own* or in conjunction with the
HHA Conference 5 & 6 April 2018.
For those attending the conference the visits will further demonstrate some of the issues raised.
*Due to high demand tickets for this event for those
not attending the conference are no longer available online. Please email: to be placed on the waiting list.
A prominent feature of the inner west skyline, The Abbey was built by John Young in the early 1880s of Sydney sandstone with a copper tower – one of the “Witches Houses” of Annandale.
Loosely modelled on a Scottish manor it was designed in the Victorian Free Gothic style with decorative stencil work, timber architraves, a vault, cloisters and gargoyles.
The owners have spent six years restoring the house and in 2015 it won a National Trust Heritage Award, the AIA (NSW) Greenway Award for heritage, and an AIA (National) Award for Heritage.
Camden Park was established in 1805 by John and Elizabeth Macarthur. The present homestead, designed by John Verge, dates from 1835 and together with its exceptional collection, garden and estate is amongst the most significant colonial properties in Australia.
It is still lived in by descendants of the original Macarthur family who manage a range of activities including agriculture and tourism.
The property is under great pressure from encroaching suburban development, mining and infrastructure and has moved to articulate these issues to alert planning and other authorities of the significance of the place, in order to avoid future conflicts and impacts.
Denbigh homestead and attendant farm buildings, north of Cobbitty, are an exceptionally rare and intact group of structures dating from the very early nineteenth century. The house built in 1812, one of the finest surviving examples of a Colonial Indian-styled bungalow in the country, is greatly enhanced by the retention of the original pastoral setting and curtilage.
The property has been in continuous use and occupation by only three families, including the Rev. Thomas Hassall and since 1868, the McIntosh family.
The present generation, facing pressures of urban encroachment and changing farming practices, are exploring innovative ways to retain the landscape and redundant structures in active use.
Photo: Daniel Shipp
Glenmore House began as a simple settler's hut of ironbark slabs c.1828 built by Joseph Moore. The sandstone cottage was built c.1840 and linked to the hut by a covered walkway.
The collection of dilapidated, early, colonial, vernacular farm buildings have been restored and extended by the owners of 30 years, Larry and Mickey Robertson.
The former cowshed, dairy, stable, hayshed and other outbuildings have been given new purposes resulting in a small, successful property on the edge of Sydney.
The tour leaves from The Conservatorium of Music, 1 Conservatorium Road, Sydney
Cost includes return coach travel, house entries, lunch and afternoon drinks